Agricultural technocrats for eco-friendly farming solutions !!!
Green Magic – Double layer bags for homestead gardens
This is a 19″ double layered HDPE plastic bags. the double layer enhances the durability as the inner soil holding layer is protected from sun.
The double layer is made into 4 vertical pockets where small plants can be accommodated or can be filled with coirpith compost. This helps the bags to remain moist for more time as well as to maintain the soil temperature within the ambient range for growth of beneficial microbes. The feeder roots of the plants will penetrate into these pockets as they will be moist and form a root mat. The presence of this root mat will make these pockets, a feeding area, where various nutrient solutions can be supplied (Biogas slurry, cow dung slurry, Panchagavya etc.)
The side handles given at the bottom ensure that the whole load of the bag & soil is only on the handles & not on the bags (see pic). This gives convenience in shifting and better life for the bag.
Usually the bags get torn in the process of handling and shifting. The side handles given at the bottom of Greenmagic bags ensure that the whole load is only on the handles & not on the bags (see pic). This gives convenience in shifting and better life for the bag.
Remember the plants should never be uprooted from a bag as the fine roots would hold on to the outer surface and bags may get torn in the process.
This unique planting bags have been brought out by Tellus Initiatives, a voluntary organization, working towards a “self sufficient farms and farmers” These bags can hold 15 lit soil ( The earthen pot of 1’ dia can hold 10 lit soil). The 4 pockets on its sides can hold 2.5 Kg coir pith compost. The procedure for filling these bags is explained below:
- 1. Place the bag on the ground and spread the base into a circular shape
- 2. Fill half portion of the planting bags with good potting mixture (compost, topsoil & sand @ 1:1:1)
- 3. Stuff the 4 pockets with coir pith compost up to the soil level
- 4. Fill the remaining portion with potting mixture leaving a 15 cm from the top
- 5. Again stuff the 4 pockets with coir pith compost up to the soil level
- 6. Add 1/2 kg nutrient mix to the top layer ( trichoderma treated vermicompost, bonemeal & neem cake @3:1:1)
- 7. Dibble the seeds (soaked overnight) or plant the seedlings in the bag
- 8. Provide shade for 2 days in case of transplanted seedlings
- 9. Keep on adding mulch to the soil layer as the plant grows.
- 10. Add one lit liquid manure per bag into the potting medium as well as the coir pith compost in the 4 pockets once in ten days. (Panchgavya, Jeevamruth, Fermented oilcake slurry, biogas slurry etc.)
- 11. For replanting after the first crop, remove the undecomposed mulch from the top of the bag and follow step 6.
Maintain mulch (dry leaves, grass clippings, etc.) above the soil layer once the plant starts growing As the roots get entangled into the fabric of the bag, never pullout the plants from the bag. Remove them by cutting them from the root portion with secateurs or knife. ·
Instead of coir pith compost, dry leaves also can be used for filling the side pockets
Instructions to fill the Green Magic Bag